It’s not uncommon to feel sick every once in a while, but if you’re coming down with something at least once a month, something is definitely not right. If you lead an otherwise healthy lifestyle, and there’s nothing going around the office, then it’s time to take a closer look at your environment. We generally don’t think twice about how our household items could affect our well-being, but there are germs and bacteria living right under your nose that could be causing you untold misery. Fortunately, there are easy ways to give your home an acceptable bill of health, even for the domestically challenged.
We get that it’s difficult to find an affordable apartment that isn’t completely falling apart, but there is one thing you should definitely not settle for having in your home; asbestos. Asbestos has been used for about 150 years on a large commercial scale for fireproofing and insulation in houses, schools, hospitals, commercial, and industrial buildings. If left alone, it’s usually harmless, but if you inhale any particles, asbestos can cause fatal diseases. If you’re considering an apartment complex of house that was built before 2000, it’s more likely that there is asbestos in your building. See a doctor if you’ve experienced shortness of breath, a persistent dry cough, chest tightness or pain, or loss of appetite with weight loss. If your doctor gives you this diagnosis you need to call a personal injury lawyer if you’ve been exposed to asbestos; your landlord has a legal responsibility to deal with this problem. Asbestos fibres can pass into the lungs where they can stay for many years, and lead to illnesses such as asbestosis (breathing difficulty) and mesothelioma (a type of cancer). There is no way to remove the fibres once they have reached the lungs and no cure for the diseases they cause.
It’s more common than ever to invest in insulation and double glazed windows to keep heat in our homes and save on our bills. However, there is one unfortunate side effect; it makes it easier for mold to develop in your house. Although not all kinds of mold are harmful, you should be concerned if the air in a certain area smells particularly musty, and you’ve experienced sneezing, coughing, dry eyes, or rashes. If an area of mold is less than ten square feet, then you can attempt to get rid of the mold yourself. Just make sure you’re wearing safety goggles, non-porous gloves, and a particle mask when cleaning. You’ll need a solution of one cup of detergent and a gallon of water. Using a sponge, wash the moldy area with the solution, then allow it to air dry. Wash it again, using a different solution of ¼ cup of bleach added to one gallon of water. Give the bleach solution 20 minutes to disinfect the area, then repeat. Keep repeating until you’ve washed the area four times with the bleach solution.
It takes more than just clearing out the expired and smelly food to keep the refrigerator germ-free. Liquids that spill onto the shelves and trays collects mold, therefore posing a danger to your fresh food. The biggest culprits are the vegetable drawers that are often forgotten until a vegetable starts to rot. The collection of rot and aforementioned liquids can gather in the corners and release a powerful, unpleasant smell. Take the drawers out of the fridge and clean them with warm water and baking soda. While they’re drying on the side, take the time to wipe down the rest of the fridge with antibacterial wipes. It is also recommended that you thoroughly wash your fruits and vegetables before storing them in the fridge.
Not to make if more difficult for you to fall asleep, but your bed sheets are the biggest dumping ground for dead skin cells, which leads to millions of dust mites. The warm environment of your bed is the perfect home for them, and they reproduce enough times to house ten million per bed. Although the mites themselves are relatively harmless, their fecal matter and body fragments can trigger allergic reactions like eczema and hay fever, and they affect nearly 80 percent of people with asthma. These micro-organisms can also put you at risk of illnesses, allergies, or even food poisoning. Fortunately, protection against dust mites is simple. Change your sheets regularly, and wash them in 60 degrees, or lower, with antibacterial laundry detergent. Allergenic protectors can also reduce the appearance of mites.
Latest posts by Mia Guerra (see all)
- Why Talking Sexual Health Shouldn’t Be a Turn Off - September 12, 2017
- Five Actions to Take Following an Auto Accident - September 7, 2017
- Tired of Building Someone Else’s Dreams? It’s Time To Start Making Yours a Reality - September 7, 2017